Join the NSSO History of Serro Scotty Resources we have found and used Pictures of Scotty projects Upcoming events and pictures from previous events Monthly newsletters of the NSSO Buy Scotty apparal and more fun stuff Contact Us
Bob & Amy Shetrone's 1972 13' Gaucho Rebuild

Bob's Scotty
This is what the Scotty looked like when we received it.

Bob's Scotty
This shows the many years of "goop" that was used to try to seal the roof. Notice how 500 screws around the new vent still didn't help!

Bob's Scotty
The water filler looks good..

Marker lights look good...

Some of the condition of the inside rear.

More inside rear--what a mess!

Look at the rot!

More rot...

Inside of cabinet and roof--looks pretty sturdy, doesn't it?

A view of the corner.

Skin off, back compartment area.

Drivers side, skin off.

Front corner, by the door.

Door side, skin removed.

The driver's side front corner, skin off.

The teardown has begun!

Driver's side, skin removed.

Almost gone!

Another view.

Not much left!

From another angle.

A new Scotty starts to appear...

Closer look from the inside.

I wanted the old stained wood look so I added 1/4" birch plywood to the inside of the 1/2" plywood. I overlapped the joints to make it stronger.

Really taking shape now.

I built the interior cabinets first--this is the top front cabinet.

And the upper kitchenette cabinet.

Another view, showing the cutout for the electrical outlet.

The cabinet to the left of the door. I chose to add as many drawers as possible for the space. The two bottom drawers are wider than they are deep but should serve some use.

Another view.

And from the other side.

I had to modify the glides for the drawers to come out all the way.

With finish applied.

The bottom drawers--they should hold something!

I added two LCD TVs to the recessed areas!

The second LCD TV. Viewing accessible from both the dining room and the bed/couch. Life is good!

Finish applied to the interior.

And, the dinette area!

My upper kitchenette cabinet with finish applied!

Interior shot of the upper cabinet. I made fake removeable interior walls to hide the wiring for my outlets.

The bottom of the upper cabinet! I used floor tile in the bottom.

Kitchenette base cabinet.

This is the finished interior, less the trim, including the stainless backsplash for the sink area.

I chose to use all 12v lights except for the Humphrey propane light and the rear lights.. I am going to install a converter and a sealed battery from The 12v lights are standard household lights from Lowes without the 110 adaptors used, just direct wired.

The 12v light in the kitchen.

This shows my air conditioner solution.

I used a Sears A/C unit (5150 Btu).

To keep the clean look, I use 100 lbs. Drawer slides and an oversized access door. Once I got the slides in, I cut the door down and welded it back up.

Bin Primer on the raw wood (when you've seen the rot I've seen, you can get carried away trying to protect the new wood.

I used styrofoam 3/4" thick insulation and then skinned over it with chimney wrap, a bubble type pack with foil on both sides.

This is the outside outlet for our canopy lights.

And finally, the new 1-piece roof skin, instead of the 3-piece original (mine had a pencil sized hole that someone repaired with Silicone). I purchased this at my local semi-trail repair shop. It's 8' wide and however long you want it.

Another view of the new "skin"!

Upper cabinet doors made, table in place and gas light tested.

Hood, sink and range tested & installed.

Foam cut for the cushions and at the Upholstery shop now.

More foam - off to be upholstered now...

Floor finished!

Another view of the floor...

More floor.

And, still more floor!

Door is on.

Outer view of the door.

License plate light mounted.

Scotty emblems powdercoated white and painted black lettering

Leopard print with purple cushions by Trent's Trick Upholstery

American Racing "Salt Flat" wheels!


National Serro Scotty Organization | Delton, Michigan 49046